Carlsbad + Riverside Project Manager
Ruhnau Clarke Architects is currently in a growth mode and we are looking for employees who are driven and love a challenge. We currently have a position available in our both offices for a Project Manager. We are architects specializing in K-12 and higher educational facilities, public use projects, medical facilities and retail projects. Ruhnau Clarke Architects offers excellent benefits and compensation commensurate with experience.
A Project Manager for Ruhnau Clarke Architects is a key position in the firm and is considered a critical position in managing all phases of a project from schematic design through construction and project closeout. As the primary day to day contact to the client and governing agencies, a Project Manager has the primary responsibility for assisting in the development and monitoring of the project scope budget, project schedule, and planning of a project as well as lead the design team in the development of the design documents (drawings and specifications) on a given project. Project Managers are to be critical observers in assessing and coordinating with the Principal in Charge any potential changes in project scope, service, and/or potential project risks.
Education: Architectural degree from an accredited university or equivalent demonstrated proficiency.
Experience: Minimum of 7 years’ experience in production and coordination of design documents in all phases of an architectural project; minimum 5-8 years coordinating with state, county, and local governing agencies that have oversight on a project; Architectural License strongly recommended.
Software: Microsoft Office Suite Products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc.) or demonstrated equivalent and proficiency; AutoCAD & Revit production software.
The following are the minimum expectations that Ruhnau Clarke Architects require of their Project Managers in the firm:
- Establish productive working relationships, and listen, communicate, deal effectively and cooperatively with clients, team members, consultants, and government agencies.
- Asks questions to Principal in Charge about assignments when unclear.
- Coordinate with team members and consultants to resolve conflicts and discrepancies during the course of a project.
- Ability to apprise supervisor and client for status of work.
- Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process to make timely decisions.
- Resolve issues related to team members and consultants.
- Collaborate with appropriate staff to meet goals and objectives of project.
- Coach, mentor, and provide performance-enhancing feedback of assigned team members.
- Ability to professionally communicate and delegate respectfully both verbally and in writing to give assignments to office support staff, consultants, and vendors.
- Support senior project manager and/or Principal in supervision and delegation of work.
- Be primary source for monitoring employee performance on a daily basis and take appropriate action to report both positive and areas of improvement performance.
- Coordinate with Principal to assist and/or prepare staff evaluations and meet with their personnel (as requested) to discuss the evaluation.
- Supervise and manage up to six team members for all phases of projects.
- Be proficient with all Ruhnau Clarke Architects’ documentation and office practice systems; provide impute on ways to improve communication processes and practices.
- Write meeting minutes, AFO’s, change orders, RFI responses, and professional correspondence for self-managed projects.
- Ability to develop, monitors, and adjust project schedules.
- Ability to correspond and document effectively with agencies, consultants, and clients.
- Assist in review of scope of work and agreements with consultant are in alignment with project objectives.
- Write RFP’S and negotiate contracts and fees with clients and consultants as directed and supervised by the Principal in Charge.
- Ability to write and edit specifications.
- Always be professional and respectful in interactions with clients, consultants, staff, and firm leadership.
- Have complete knowledge and is a living example on how to maximize the use of Ruhnau Clarke Architects procedures, standards, and protocols.
- Have a support role in marketing for new work, interviews and writing marketing proposals as directed by a Principal or other firm leader.
- Maintain primary contact with client and have excellent follow-through with client to help get repeat work.
- Participate in project marketing interviews as requested.
- Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
- Set goals, prioritize, and plan work activities for self-management and use time efficiently.
- Estimate project schedule and project phase hours for assigned tasks and finish tasks within agreed upon budget hours for said task(s).
- Manage projects, budgets, schedules, staffing, and coordinate billing as requested.
- Collaborate with design and production staff, construction administrator, and consultants.
- Work to keep projects within designed work plans; contribute to firm profits and revenues, and use resources effectively.
- Understand contractual liabilities as they relate to projects including fee calculations,
- Assist in the preparation of plans of action with their supervisor for resolving project related problems.
- Ensure that project conforms to contractual agreement with client, meeting all set budgets, goals, and work assignments for their project team that clearly defines project expectations.
- Have a complete understand and be proficient with all Ruhnau Clarke Architects’ office & project practices; provide impute on ways to improve processes and practices.
- Participate in project design charrettes.
- Support design team and ensure Ruhnau Clarke Architects’ design philosophy is followed through all phases of the project.
- Integrate design principles with project design team and maintain design integrity through all phases of the project.
- Promote design quality and design collaboration.
- Collaborate with project design team lead during the programming, planning, and feasibility analysis phase of the project as requested.
- Coordinate with government agencies, utility companies, and resolve plan check and approval issues with all governing agencies that have jurisdictional authority over the project.
- Review documents to ensure the clients’ and Ruhnau Clarke Architects’ minimum standard of quality, coordination, and compliance with the requirements of deliverables in all phases of a project.
- Guide and direct project team and consultants for appropriate materials and systems.
- Review documents for code compliance in all phases and issue code interpretations.
- Review cost estimates and conduct value analysis.
- Review and approve changes in collaboration with the project design team and client.
- Supervise and resolve issues in preparation of construction documents.
- Demonstrate capabilities to support Construction Manager during the Construction Administration phase of the project.
- Responsible for the coordination and completeness of the construction drawings and specifications.
If interested, please complete and submit the following form.